When thinking of small business technology needs, it’s to forget about a functional phone system. It’s important to include a small business phone system when planning technology needs. Small business phone systems are available in a variety of configurations with wide range of features and benefits. Most modern small business phone systems use Internet Protocol (IP) networks and not dedicated voice lines. IP is the same networking standard used for servers, computers and other small business networking. There are many things to consider what phone system best meets your small business technology needs. Understand what your users need to effectively perform. The correct small business phone system will give your users the features they need to be efficient, but not confuse them with a bunch of features they don’t use or need. There are a number of questions to ask yourself when determining your phone system small business technology needs:
- Do your users need rich-media conferencing?
- Do your workers need one phone number that rings on multiple devices?
- Does your business need an automated attendant to route calls?
It’s important to know the answers to these questions in order to make an informed decision. Some features and capabilities to look for include:
- Video conferencing – Video can provide increased customer connection.
- Mobile softphones - using a computer as a phone
- Automated attendant – route calls to the correct user.
- Paging and intercom – Becoming less needed, but some when you need it, you need it.
- Presence —know who is available right now, and how to reach them.
- Wireless phones - do workers need to be reachable as they roam your facility?
- CRM Integration - Allows your CRM system to automatically retrieve information about a caller.
- Unified messaging - Voicemail notification by e-mail, text message, or phone
A modern small business phone system can help your employees do things that were not possible before. This can easily change the way your organzation conducts it’s daily business. For example, using wireless IP phones, your sales team can easily check the warehouse for items while still communicating with the customer. Selecting the right phone system meets a critical small business technology need. Do your research, and the decision will lead to benefits for a long time.